Monday, March 10, 2014

Yarn Review

Hello Everyone!

I'm going to start with a yarn review about once a month.  I got some really nice yarns last year and I've ordered more and I want to share it with you.

The first I want to review is Noro Taiyo Sock Yarn color 25.  I bought three skeins of the yarn a few years ago and I held on to it until I figured out what I wanted to make with it.  I'm working on Leah Tunic.  I posted a picture of the yarn and the pattern last week.  First I have to say that I love the colors, that's why I spent nearly 60.00 for three skeins of yarn.  They are rich and beautiful and the combination of colors, though you would think they did not belong together, blend together beautifully.  That's where my praise ends, sad to say.  First, the yarn is over wound.  When you are unwinding the yarn to use it knots back upon itself.  It seriously needs a good thwacking.  I tried pulling the yarn from the middle of the ball and the outside of the ball and I rewound the ball on my ball winder, none of that made any difference.  It still winds back on itself.  Secondly, the yarn is rough.  I'm hoping with a soak in some hair conditioner will soften it.  The hand feel while knitting is not very nice either.  As I am sitting here typing this I am resting my arm on my project and it feels terribly rough.  I'm also hoping that the colors won't run.  Lastly, there were knots in my skeins.  One they didn't even bother to try to match the colors.  I had to cut part out so I could match the yarn back up.  Which means I will have to knot it again to join the remainder of the skein.  I'm not a fan.  I will be letting you know what happens when I finish the project and wash it.

3 comments:

Chrisknits said...

I have not found a truly soft Noro, even the ones that are combos of silk and wool, or other blends. But you cannot beat their color sense. I just don't see why it's so hard for other companies to duplicate that sense in softer yarns!

Lily Razz said...

A yarn review every month, how fun! Sorry to hear that the yarn is kind of a bust.. but I like the idea of soaking it in hair conditioner, I hope it helps!

FoFo said...

Lily-I will let you know if it does soften up. I think I will enjoy it!

Chris-That is unfortunate. Mine is a combo of silk, wool, cotton and nylon. It is a sock yarn and I cannot imagine have socks made out of such a rough yarn. I will be wearing a tank under the tunic so hopefully it won't irritate. They have fab color sense! I'm in awe every time I look at the skeins and the project I am making. Someone definitely needs to try it!

Thanks Ladies!